A Day At Journalism Day

Photo by @hawaiijday on Instagram
Students from McKinney, Roosevelt, Iolani, Mid-Pacific, Saint Francis, and with the help of Ms. Kanai from Hana Hou are interviewing the cast for the upcoming play at UH

Ever wanted to be a good writer or to take a photo with meaning?

Every year at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, they present their annual Journalism Day. Journalism Day is an event where high school students come together and learn about journalism. I had the privilege and honor to go to this event with the help of my advisors Mr. Funk and Mr. Ragus.

When I first stepped into the Campus Center Ballroom, I felt nervous because I was the only one going to this event luckily, I made some friends from other schools. They were also kind enough to give me their school newspaper the ‘Iolani “Imua” and “The Pinion” of McKinley High School.

The first session was with Ms. Kimberly from Khon2 News. After she graduated from Maryknoll, she went to the University of Hawaii. She was an Opinion Leader and then she joined Ka Leo, the newspaper at The University of Hawaii.

Our next session was with Ms. Pennybacker from The Star Advisor and Ms. Kanai from Hana Hou! During this session, I learned about journalism style. I learned how to create and ask questions for the person that I had interviewed I also learned the value of gathering resources, notes, and background information to make an interesting journalism article to publish. We had to practice this for a while and this really helped me out.

he last event of the day, the people from Civil Beat taught the style of photography. Besides the type of photos and the camera they use, they also taught me something really interesting. They told me that a picture that we take shows us a story.

Journalism Day was one of the best experiences that I have been to. If you ever wanted to be a better journalist or improve on your journey, I would recommend going to this yearly event at The University of Hawaii at Manoa.